RockWare Support Forum
Adrien

Importing USGS 30 meter DEM help

What is the file format required to import USGS 30 meter DEMs using the Grid/Import option? I've got a DEM with a .adf extension, but when I browse to the file to import I only have a .grd option (or all files). Do I have to convert the .adf file to a .grd file prior to importing? I've tried the "all files" route but I get a " "is not a valid integer value " error. I don't know if there is a problem with the file type, the data, my project dimensions or some option I need to select/deselect.

The "help" says:

Digital Elevation Model (DEM):RockWorks can import Canadian Government, USGS 30-Meter, or USGS 3 Arc Second DEM formats. This tool does not import DEM files in SDTS format.

Resolution/Source: Choose Canadian Government, USGS 30-Meter, or USGS 3 Arc Second.

Elevations Units: Select whether the Z-values (elevations) from the imported DEM file should be saved in the output model as meters or as feet.

Undefined Nodes: Select the method to be used to define any nodes missing in the input file.

I'm glad it can do that. I'd just like to know how.

Hi Adrien,

RockWorks does not import the ADF file format directly, but another thread on the forum suggests converting the file using Global Mapper or ArcView.

You are welcome to send me a ZIP file with the ADF and I'll take a look. Files too large for e-mail can be uploaded to the RockWare web site:

http://www.rockware.com/upload/

Thanks,

Tom B

[email protected]