RockWare Support Forum
mark

.wmf in ArcMap

I've created a 2d cross-section and exported it to an emf. Once I import the picture into an ArcMap project how do I make the cross-section the same horizontal scale as the map view? I can manually drag the corner of the emf to change the scale and shift the picture so it aligns with the monitoring wells in the map view.

Hi Mark,

An EMF export of a RockWorks diagram does not maintain any true coordinate information, so I think your only option would be to drag the image to resize it in ArcMap, using visual cues (such as boreholes) to know proper size.

Note that if you are exporting a RockWorks "section" (comprised of multiple panels) rather than a "profile" (comprised of a single slice), the horizontal axis of the section represents distance, in your map units, along the trace. This would be problematic to match up with a map if the panels snake around.

Even using a DXF from RockWorks, which does maintain diagram coordinate information, may not help much for profiles or sections since the left edge of these diagrams always starts at a coordinate of 0.

I have no clue if I answered your question! Let me know if you need more information.

Molly

RockWare Inc

I've created a 2d cross-section and exported it to an emf. Once I import the picture into an ArcMap project how do I make the cross-section the same horizontal scale as the map view? I can manually drag the corner of the emf to change the scale and shift the picture so it aligns with the monitoring wells in the map view.

I think the dxf export is the way to go. I have the option to set the horizontal scale of the cross-section equal to that of the map view. However, the export does not complete. I get an error message saying, "Unable to load 'server name path\file name'

Hi Mark,

Sounds like a file issue...

(1) be sure in the DXF Export window you actually click on the "DXF Output File" prompt to type in the name. This assures that the full path to the file is updated.

(2) uncheck the Plot with Default Viewer option. Maybe RockWorks can't find the application defined in Windows as the default DXF viewing program.

Molly

RockWare Inc