RockWorks/2006 Revision History
(72) Bug Fix (03/19/08/MIW): The ReportWorks trailware banner has been removed.
(71) Bug Fix (03/19/08/MIW): The RockPlot/3D "Zip All Files" option now includes draped images.
(70) Bug Fix (03/19/08/JCJ): Some of the RockWorks Utilities speed-buttons were inactive in the previous version.
(69) Bug Fix (03/06/08/MIW): The RockPlot/3D program now uses the color transparency setting when displaying vertical bitmaps.
(68) Bug Fix (03/05/08/MIW): Two-dimensional maps that are produced within the Borehole Manager no longer generate "Access Violation" errors if the Symbols and/or Labels were previously enabled in another map.
(67) Bug Fix (03/04/08/JCJ): When browsing for a folder, the program now shows folders on a network that have shared access.
(66) Improvement (03/04/08/MIW): The Utilities / Volumetrics / Extract-Solid and Utilities / Volumetrics / Grade -> GT programs now allow the user to select the symbol and label and label columns within the datasheet for overplotting within the 2D diagrams.
(65) Improvement (02/29/08/JCJ): The RockWorks program now limits itself to one instance thereby eliminating the possibility that a user can inadvertently launch two or more copies thereby introducing instabilities.
(64) New Feature (02/29/08/JPR): A new program titled "Multi-Log Plan View" has been added to the Borehole Manager / Striplogs menu.
Once selected, this new option will present the user with the following menu:
The output from the Plan-View Logs program will plot the designated logs in plan-view (i.e. a birdseye view).
These maps may be combined within solid-model plan-view "slices ".
(63) Bug Fix (02/29/08/MIW): Enabling both the "Polyenhancement" and "Densify" options when creating a grid no longer causes a fatal error.
(62) New Feature (02/29/08/JPR): The "Smooth Grid" option within the gridding sub-menu now includes an option whereby the user can control whether or not the null values will be smoothed.
(61) Bug Fix (02/29/08/JPR): The "Center" option within the Utilities / Grafix / Images / Digitize From Bitmap program now works correctly.
(60) Bug Fix (02/28/08/JPR): The reference maps that can be created when creating sections no longer plot the section endpoint labels if they have been disabled in the configuration menu.
(59) Bug Fix (02/28/08/JPR): The Utilities / Map / Grid-Based Map program no longer generates an incorrect color legend when generating trend-surface maps that extend below the lowest control point or above the highest control point.
(58) Cosmetic (02/28/08/JPR): The Borehole Manager / Striplogs / Google Earth Stratigraphy Sections menu now defaults to "hammer_icon.png" as the default placemarker icon. In addition, a file called hammer_icon.png is now added to the Samples folder during installation.
(57) Cosmetic (02/27/08/JPR): The contour interval confirmation dialog now displays helpful cartoons as the cursor is moved over the Contour Interval, Labeling Interval, and Color Interval entries.
(56) Bug Fix (02/27/08/JPR): The Utilities / Hydrology / Drawdown Surface program no longer prompts for the contour intervals when plotting a 3D surface regardless of the how the contour interval confirmation has been configured for 2D maps.
(55) Improvement (02/27/08/MIW): The maximum number of patterns that can be imported into the pattern table has been increased from 250 to 1,000.
(54) Cosmetic (02/27/08/JPR): The Borehole Manager / Striplogs layout menu now shows the right borders of the text columns.
(53) New Feature (02/26/08/JPR): The Tools / General Preferences menu now includes an option for specifying the default image type that is used when specifying the name of an image that will be saved.
Note: The default image type can always be overridden by simply selecting another image type from the "Save As Type" option within the Save menu or by manually specifying an image extension. The default image type simply tells the program what extension is to be used if the user fails to manually specify an image format.
Note: The unwinding process always deviates the log (varies the inclination) to the right of the borehole collar.
(52) Bug Fix (02/26/08/JCJ): The program now "remembers" the name of the project folder if you attempt to create a new project and the project already exists (and you don't elect to overwrite it).
(51) Improvement (02/25/08/JCJ): The main menu flickering that occurs when the user switches between the Borehole Manager, Utilities, and Tables has been eliminated.
(50) Cosmetic (02/25/08/JPR): The font for all dialog boxes (300+) has been changed to Sagoe UI 9-point (the default Windows Vista font). When run on a Windows XP machine without the Sagoe UI font, XP will select the closest available font (typically Tahoma). These changes have not yet been applied to the RockWorks/3D or ReportWorks programs.
(49) Bug Fix (02/20/08/JPR): The RockPlot/2D / Color-Legend / Properties / Dimensions menu now displays properly when using Large Fonts with the Microsoft Windows Vista Aero interface.
(48) Bug Fix (02/20/08/MIW): The Utilities / Solid / Import program no longer misinterprets the number of xyz nodes within the header.
(47) Improvement (02/20/08/JCJ): The main menu flickering that occurs when the user switches between the Borehole Manager and the Utilities has been fixed.
(46) Improvement (02/20/08/JCJ): The options within the Help / Download menu will now download as separate "threads" meaning that the user can continue to work on other tasks while the files are downloading.
(45) Bug Fix (02/20/08/MIW): The Borehole Manager / Stratigraphy / Model no longer saves the solid model if the "Save Model" option is unchecked.
(44) Bug Fix (02/20/08/JPR): The Utilities / Planes / Stereonet program no longer prompts the user twice for the contour intervals if the user has elected to plot both solid-fill contours and contour lines.
(43) New Feature (02/20/08/JPR): The Utilities / Grid / Edit toolbar button size is now determined by the Tools / General-Preferences / Secondary Menus / Button-Size option.
(42) New Feature (02/20/08/JPR): The Utilities / Grid / Edit toolbar button size is now determined by the Tools / General-Preferences / Secondary Menus / Button-Size option.
(41) Cosmetic (02/20/08/JPR): The Utilities / Grid / Edit program has been redesigned to accommodate large fonts within Windows Vista.
(40) New Feature (02/19/08/JPR): The solid-fill color contour menu now includes an option for omitting high values.
(39) New Feature (02/18/08/JPR): The contouring option that is used to omit contour line segments near a fault now allows the user to define the cutoff distance.
(38) Improvement (02/17/08/JPR): The conventional line contours now correspond exactly with the color bands produced by the solid-fill color contouring.
(37) Improvement (02/17/08/JPR): The "Skip Low Values" option within the solid-fill color contouring now creates a nice smooth border (versus ragged edges). This specifically impacts the following applications;
(36) Bug Fix (02/17/08/JPR): Solid-fill color contour maps no longer have sporadic gaps (white lines, dots, & triangles).
(35) Improvement (02/17/08/JPR): Contour maps of boolean grids are slightly less orthogonal (the edges are slightly rounded).
(34) Improvement (02/11/08/MIW): The drawing of pattern and color-filled polygons is now considerably faster.
(33) Bug Fix (02/11/08/JPR): The project dimensions window is now displayed properly if Windows is set to "large fonts" (e.g. 120dpi).
(32) Bug Fix (02/05/08/MIW): The Transfer / Borehole Table -> RockWorks Utilities program was resetting the track of the current borehole and thereby creating errors within the output table.
(31) New Feature (02/01/08/MIW): The default extension for RockPlot 3D scene files has been changed from XML to R3DXML. RockPlot3D can still open and save files with an XML extension. The installation program for both RockWorks 2006 and RockPlot 3D 2006 register the R3DXML extension so that a user can double click on a file in the Windows Explorer and have it open in RockPlot3D.
(30) New Feature (01/30/08/JPR): The fence diagram endpoint selection option listing now includes a new sub-option titled "Templates".
This options within this new heading provide a means for creating "canned" panel layouts that are identical to those within the interactive fence panel location map. The only difference between these options and those within the interactive map are that the panels can be created before the interactive map is displayed. The primary purpose of this feature is to allow RCL (RockWorks Command Language) users to create panel templates without displaying the interactive map (thereby requiring additional user input).
(29) Modification (01/30/08/JPR): When running in the RCL (RockWare Command Language) batch mode, the profile, section, and fence diagram utilities will no longer show the interactive location-selection map regardless of any other settings.
(28) Cosmetic (01/30/08/JPR): The RockWorks Utilities / Survey / Interpolation Points Along Line option has been renamed to "Interpolate Points Along Line".
(27) Improvement (01/30/08/JPR): The profiles, sections, and fence diagrams no longer share a common (and confusing) sub-menu that determines how the user will select the profile endpoints, section vertices, and fence panels. Instead, RockWorks now uses different menus profiles, sections and fence diagrams.
The various combinations of options are summarized within the following table:
|Borehole Manager / Striplogs / Multi-Log Profile||Yes||Yes||no||no||Optional|
|Borehole Manager / Striplogs / Multi-Log Section||Yes||no||Yes||no||Always On|
|Borehole Manager / Lithology / Profile||Yes||Yes||no||no||Optional|
|Borehole Manager / Lithology / Section||Yes||no||Yes||no||Optional|
|Borehole Manager / Lithology / Fence||Yes||no||Yes||Yes||Optional|
|Borehole Manager / Stratigraphy / Profile||Yes||Yes||no||no||Optional|
|Borehole Manager / Stratigraphy / Section / Modeled||Yes||no||Yes||no||Optional|
|Borehole Manager / Stratigraphy / Section / Straight||Yes||no||Yes||no||Always On|
|Borehole Manager / Stratigraphy / Fence / Modeled||Yes||no||Yes||Yes||Optional|
|Borehole Manager / Stratigraphy / Fence / Straight||Yes||no||Yes||Yes||Always On|
|Borehole Manager / Stratigraphy / Fence (ESRI) / Modeled||Yes||no||Yes||Yes||Optional|
|Borehole Manager / Stratigraphy / Fence (ESRI) / Straight||Yes||no||Yes||Yes||Always On|
|Borehole Manager / I-Data / Profile||Yes||Yes||no||no||Optional|
|Borehole Manager / I-Data / Section||Yes||no||Yes||no||Optional|
|Borehole Manager / I-Data / Fence||Yes||no||Yes||Yes||Optional|
|Borehole Manager / P-Data / Profile||Yes||Yes||no||no||Optional|
|Borehole Manager / P-Data / Section||Yes||no||Yes||no||Optional|
|Borehole Manager / P-Data / Fence||Yes||no||Yes||Yes||Optional|
|Borehole Manager / Fractures / Profile||Yes||Yes||no||no||Optional|
|Borehole Manager / Fractures / Section||Yes||no||Yes||no||Optional|
|Borehole Manager / Fractures / Fence||Yes||no||Yes||Yes||Optional|
|Borehole Manager / Aquifers / Profile||Yes||Yes||no||no||Optional|
|Borehole Manager / Aquifers / Section||Yes||no||Yes||no||Optional|
|Borehole Manager / Aquifers / Fence||Yes||no||Yes||Yes||Optional|
|Utilities / Grid / Grid -> Profile||Yes||Yes||no||no||Optional|
|Utilities / Grid / Grid -> Fence||Yes||no||Yes||Yes||Optional|
|Utilities / Grid / Grids -> Stratigraphic Fence||Yes||no||Yes||Yes||Optional|
|Utilities / Solid / Profile||Yes||Yes||no||no||Optional|
|Utilities / Solid / Section||Yes||no||Yes||no||Optional|
|Utilities / Solid / Fence||Yes||no||Yes||Yes||Optional|
(26) Bug Fix (01/28/08/MIW): Right clicking on an item in RockPlot2D would first show the popup menu and then select the new object. This caused the wrong object's Properties dialog to be displayed.
(25) Bug Fix (01/28/08/MIW): The "Enabled" attribute is no longer missing from draped images within the RockPlot/3D program.
(24) Bug Fix (01/28/08/MIW): The Borehole Manager / File / LogPlot program no longer ignores user selections to not import selected LogPlot data.
(23) New Feature (01/28/08/MIW): The Borehole Manager / File / LogPlot program now imports LogPlot text with numeric values into the P-Data table. Note: Text must be on a single line and contain values within a US numeric format).
(22) New Feature (01/28/08/MIW): The Borehole Manager / File / LogPlot program now imports FillBar data into the pattern table.
(21) Bug Fix (01/28/08/MIW): The Grafix / 2D Utilities / Clip program now uses the correct file for the output file parameter.
(20) Improvement (01/28/08/MIW): ReportWorks now uses the saved layer state when displaying RockWorks RK6 files.
(19) Improvement (01/28/08/MIW): RockWorks no longer issues a warning about a missing grid file when creating a RockPlot3D draped image with offset elevations.
(18) Improvement (01/28/08/MIW): The image draping capability no longer ignores the image if the image isn't in the current project folder.
(17) Bug Fix (01/28/08/MIW): The RockPlot/2D / Edit / Paste function now works correctly. It was inadvertently broken by the new utility that removes duplicate layers.
(16) Bug Fix (01/28/08/MIW): The RockPlot/2D / Export / DXF program now adjusts the height of symbols based on the vertical exaggeration.
(15) Bug Fix (01/28/08/MIW): Color legends with fewer than nine intervals will no longer display the top interval as two triangles with two different colors.
(14) Bug Fix (01/28/08/MIW): The color legends that are based on "continuous colors" now match the coloring of the associated diagram more closely.
(13) Bug Fix (01/28/08/MIW): The RockPlot/3D cutouts for solid models and iso-surfaces with very small intervals in any of the axes are no longer difficult to adjust via the spin buttons or by entering the node indices.
(12) Cosmetic (01/28/08/JCJ): The web URLs that are used for viewing and downloading have been changed to accommodate the new tRockWare website and server. The changes apply to the following options:
Licensing / Request Unlocking Code Via Web: Now links to http://www.rockware.com/contact/contact.php
My RockWorks: Now links to http://www.rockware.com/rockworks/revisions/my_rockworks.htm
Help / On-Line Information / RockWorks Support Page: Now links to http://www.rockware.com/product/supportLobby.php?id=165
Help / On-Line Information / Revision List: Now links to http://www.rockware.com/rockworks/revisions/index.html
Help / Download / RockWorks - Latest Version: Now links to http://www.rockware.com/downloads/direct.php?RockWorks2006^direct
Help / Download / Printable User Manual: Now links to http://www.rockware.com/assets/products/165/downloads/documentation/11/rw2006_manual.pdf
Help / Download / RockWare LandBase: Now links to http://www.rockware.com/rockworks/revisions/downloadables/
Help / About / Contact RockWare: Now links to http://www.rockware.com/contact/contact.php
(11) New Feature (01/28/08/JPR): The popup-menu that appears whenever the user right-clicks on a menu item now includes options for expanding and collapsing the menu.
(10) Cosmetic (01/28/08/JPR): The cancel button has been removed from the Borehole Manager / Striplog menus based on the assumption that everybody knows how to cancel a Windows menu by clicking on the big red "X" at the upper-right corner of the dialog box.
(9) Cosmetic (01/28/08/JPR): The expand and collapse buttons within the Borehole Manager / Striplog menus are now displayed in the toolbar at the top of the dialog box.
(8) New Features (01/28/08/JPR): A variety of new options has been added to the Tools / General Preferences / Secondary Menus option.
Show Pull-Down Menu: This setting defines whether or not a "pull-down" menu will be displayed at the top of the menu dialog box. The options within the pull-down menu are identical to those within the "toolbar" (described below). The Show Pull-Down Menu option is turned on by default.
Show Toolbar: This setting defines whether or not a "button toolbar" will be displayed at the top of the menu dialog box. The options within the toolbar are identical to those within the pull-down menu (described above). The Show Toolbar option is turned on by default.
Button Size: Toolbar buttons may be either large (with captions) or small (without captions). The Button Size is set to small by default.
Background Color For Variables: The background colors for variables may be adjusted via these settings. The default settings are creamy white for the normal background and black for the highlighted background.
Icons: If desired, small icons will be displayed next to selected items within the menu branches. The default setting is to not show these icons.
Define When Menu Settings Are Saved:
Save Menu Items As Soon As They Are Changed: The downside of this option is that the menu settings will be saved even if the user elects to cancel the operation. This can also be an advantage if you're in the middle of changing the settings but need to temporarily exit the menu to do something else.
Save Menu Items When "Continue" Button Has Been Selected: The upside/downside are the inverse of the previous option. Two notable exceptions to this convention are the 2D and 3D borehole design menus. These programs save the menu items as they are changed regardless of the settings within this configuration menu.
(7) Cosmetic (01/28/08/JPR): The Tools / General Preferences / Menu Dimensions option has been split into two new topics titled "Main Menu Options" and "Secondary (Tree-Style) Menu Options" in order to accommodate a slew of new Secondary Menu options (described above).
(6) NEW FEATURE (01/17/08/JPR): The Borehole Manager / 2D-Striplog / Well-Construction / Text sub-menu now includes options for manually specifying the vertical line spacing.
This option is useful for controlling the text spacing if the log is plotted at an exaggerated vertical scale.
(5) NEW FEATURE (01/10/08/JPR): The RockPlot/2D / Export / RockPlot/3D / Drape option now includes an option that allows the user to specify if the input represents a contour map that is based on the reference grid.
This new feature is used as follows:
If you're draping a contour map that is based on the reference grid, set the "Input = Contour Lines..." option to "True". Otherwise the contours will have vertical crenulations.
If you're draping a map that does not represent a contour map based on the reference grid, set the "Input = Contour Lines ..." option to "False". Otherwise, the lines will have vertical crenulations.
(4) IMPROVEMENT (01/08/08/JPR): The Zone and Hemisphere options within the Utilities / Widgets / Unit Conversions / UTM -> Longitude/Latitude program have been consolidated into a single button that is linked to the new interactive UTM zone-selection map.
(3) NEW FEATURE (01/08/08/JPR): UTM zones within RCL (RockWare Command Language) script files are no longer accompanied by a hemisphere designation. Instead, zones within the northern hemisphere are now positive while zones within the southern hemisphere are now negative.
(2) REMOVAL (01/04/08/JPR): The StrataType and LithoType table options have been removed from the RockPlot/2D / Utilities / Legend program menu. These items are now selected automatically from the stratigraphy and lithology tables within the current project folder database.
(1) BUG-FIX (01/03/08/JPR): The Borehole Manager / Striplog-2D program now makes use of the text angles within the various column options. The previous version would always plot text at a 90-degree angle relative to the log axis.
Please note that angled text can be problematic with deviated boreholes (see example below):
Previous Quarter (4/07)